Natural Grass Vs Synthetic Surface Study
Sport, Recreation & Open Space Planning
The purpose of this study was to develop a decision-making tool (in conjunction with IPOS Consulting and the University of Ballarat) that helps organisations make an informed choice on selection of appropriate surface types for sports such as bowls, tennis, hockey, soccer, football, cricket and any other relevant multipurpose facilities.
In addition to sport-specific considerations, the report also details current knowledge on environmental, social, health and financial implications of the use of natural grass surfaces compared to synthetic turf.
Important considerations include:
• Capital, Operational, Replacement & Life Cycle costing;
• Broader sporting participation trends & local demographic profile/use trends;
• Natural grass species/synthetic turf material types & maintenance practices;
• Types and levels of usage anticipated;
• Compliance with sport-specific governing bodies, at varying levels of competition (elite/community use); and
• Local climatic and environmental factors.